Saturday, December 29, 2007

Bond's wedding reception

I attended by first Chinese wedding reception last night..

Got the invitation from Bond a couple of months back, enough time for me to do some research., i.e. What to wear? How much money to give? What are the events planned for the night, etc.

Bond smsed me a few days ago, 'Please be at the Royal Lake Club at 7.30pm SHARP on 28/12/07." I panicked. I only finish work at 5plus, need at least one hour to drive back to Shah Alam. By the time I get ready, pick up Shobs from her aunt's place and drive to KL, the earliest I can get there would be 8pm. Later I discovered that Chinese weddings usually don't start on time..True enough, when I reach the place at 8pm, guests were still walking in and it only started at 8.30..

I would say that a Chinese wedding appears to be less formal than a Malay wedding. Some of the guests wore quite simple clothes, like just slacks and collared t-shirt. The MC was more spontaneous and bride and groom were very relaxed. After exchanging their vows, they also gave a speech, to thank their parents, family and friends in helping them with the wedding preparation. Another tradition that i noticed is that the wedding couple will go from table to table to take pictures with the guests. I think it's a good practice, as it'll ensure that they have pictures of all their guest as a keepsake.

The best thing that i witnessed at the wedding was a professional video show that they arranged for. It showed the whole wedding ceremony which started from 7.45am yesterday. From the groom and bride getting ready for the big day, right up to the groom going to bride's house...then we witnessed the groom getting 'ragged' by the girl's family..he had to wear a cardboard around his neck saying that he's getting married today and had to collect 15 signatures from the nearby mamak shop. Then he had to drink this green looking thing, which they blended from god knows what..it looked really horrible..i'm sure it tasted awful too..

Then he had a perform a dance for the girls family..After going to the girl's room to take his wife, they had to perform the tea ceremony...Later they showed both the wedding couple in the car, on the way to the club...

I was amazed with the video show as it showed the typical Chinese tradition of a wedding and the video was also well done..it managed to catch the expressions of the wedding couple and their family members..they both looked so happy..I noticed that the bride shed some tears after watching the video...I could just imagine being in her shoes, and I'll be touched as well myself..

Overall, I had a great time last night. It was fun meeting up with my old friends and catching up with them..






IMU Bunch

Good to c u again, Shobs..

1 comment:

Iron Butterfly said...

that's a hell of a dress couz. bleh pinjam tak? ahahah..