Thursday, October 11, 2007

Wireless at last

This is the first time I'm posting a blog from my laptop..We finally have wireless at home. Dad's tech guy came to the house this morning, and he completed the whole process in TWO hours. I know, two hours is really long right...Allow me to ellaborate.
0830: The guy came to the house and I was forced to get up from bed in case he needed any assistance.
0840: He installed the 3 Com Wireless Router on our desktop without any difficulties.
0845: This was when the problem started. In order to use the router, we had to enter the streamyx password. None of us remembered what the password was! We searched through all the old streamyx documents that we had but none of them had the info that we needed.
0900: I finally thought of calling TMnet for the password. Turns out somebody had changed the password (most likely my brother who was currently at school) and the default password could not be used. Hence, she had to reset the password and a new password was then given to me. The new password can only be used after half an hour.
0930: We finally managed to be online, using our desktop.
0935: The guy wanted to test out the wireless function. I took out my laptop for him to use.
0940: Again, problems arose. Somehow, my laptop could not detect the wireless connection. I found it puzzling coz I was able to go online without difficulties a couple of months back at Starbucks.
1000: Still trying to connect to the internet using my laptop. At this point, he is suspecting a possible viral infection on my pc and he's trying to uninstall possible programs that may have been infected by it.
1005: He wanted to uninstall my antivirus program, ie. symantec antivirus, but I was unlucky enough that a password is required for that. AAaaargh! Not another password!
1010: He was about to give up at this point. He asked for another laptop, but the only other laptop available was my sister's, and her charging cable is malfunctioned. Great.
1015: Aaaahhh...finally I'm able to go online using my laptop. Somehow, he made some modifications here and there and so called virus was defeated.
He installed the AVG Anti-spyware on my laptop, which will locate the 'trojans' and hence will make my laptop run faster.
1020: Went to all the rooms to try out the wireless function. Even my maid's room had internet access now. Cool!
1030: Everything's done. The tech guy left and I continued surfing the net..

No comments: