Tuesday, February 01, 2011

House Rules


I haven't read a storybook in ages. The last storybook that I've read was probably Twilight, but I stopped reading it halfway coz I found it a chore trying to finish it. (My sis would kill me when she reads this.) Guess I'm not a fan of fictions.

Surprisingly I managed to read this book from cover to cover. Reasons being:

1. It tells about a boy with Asperger's Syndrome, on how his family cope with his disease and how he was convicted with murder. I find it interesting to read about a medical illness, probably because of my job.

2. I was relating the main character with my brother, who also was diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome many years ago. I'm grateful that my brother's symptoms are not as full blown as Jacob, the boy from the book.

3. I felt that what his family go through everyday could happen to anybody. It is interesting to look into how unfortunate ppl go through their everyday lives.

4. I liked how Jodi Picoult outlined story. How each situation was perceived, from the eye of a parent, a sibling and the person with Asperger's.

4. I just wanted to get away from medical books, for a change.


I found it difficult to put the book down, especially from the middle part till the end. However, the ending was rather a disappointment. I won't reveal any spoilers here.

I would recommend this book for others to read. Although I must warn you that you may get overboard with the description of Aspergers Syndrome, which are being mentioned again and again in almost all the chapters. Jodi Picoult truly did her research on this topic.

No comments: